The sole aim of Double Bind is to amplify and promote the voices of predominantly women from a Muslim background who value secularism, democracy and fundamental human rights (please see our ‘About’ page for more). If you would like to become a contributor, please note the following:
What we’re looking for
- Reaction and comment: If you’ve seen something in the news to which you can respond with an interesting angle, and you’re able to submit 300-500 words within a couple of days (max) of it breaking we want to hear from you.
- Features: This kind of content can include anything from personal stories and reviews to opinion pieces and lifestyle writing. Usually around 800-1500 words.
- Creative writing: High quality prose and exceptional poetry are welcome if they require minimal editing. 2000 words max for prose, 40 lines max for poetry.
If you have an idea but aren’t sure if it fits into one of these categories, don’t be afraid to get in touch and ask – the email address to contact is email@example.com. Here are a few more things to remember:
- Please be aware that we are no longer accepting requests for cross-posting articles submitted to other publications, or from personal blogs, although of course contributors can share their work on their own sites after it has been published on Double Bind.
- If you would like to submit a personal story, be assured that it will be handled with utmost care; you can choose to write anonymously if you wish and nothing will be published that you’re not 100% happy with. If at any point you change your mind and would prefer not to share it at all, it will be taken down immediately.
- When submitting your ideas, consider whether Double Bind has already covered the same topic recently. If so, we might need to wait a while before your piece can be posted.
- Once you have submitted your first piece to Double Bind, we will add your author profile – do send us your biography and photograph.
- We aim to respond to submission queries as quickly as possible – however this site is a passion project and we lead busy lives dictated by our day-jobs, so please be patient when awaiting a response!